Fun facts about the Mall of America
The Mall of America (MOA) is an attractive tourist spot of the city of Minneapolis. When I say this, I don’t mean to lure you in to shopping at the many stores. But for the fact that this mall is the largest in the United States in terms of floor space.
When I was visiting Minneapolis last summer, I was able to visit the mall twice. On both the occasions, I felt that I was spending most of my time locating and walking towards the store that I wanted to shop from.
The maps and the directories were helpful but it did feel like the mall was a city in itself. Yours truly then switched hats to that of a researcher. So here are some facts I curated about the Mall of America that you will enjoy reading:
- There are ~520 stores and ~50 food joints inside the mall.
- It would take you 86 hours to cover the entire mall if you spend 10 minutes in each store.
- It has its own zip code and you can take light rail from downtown Minneapolis to reach the mall in the basement. You won’t even have to step outside if you use the light rail.
- It is second largest in the world in terms of leaseable space and the twelfth largest in the world.
- On any given day, the people who visit MOA would make the mall the third largest city in the state of Minnesota.
- MOA offers 12,287 parking spaces to the guests spread across two ramps.
- 32 Boeing 747s could fit inside the Mall.
- Each year, 40 million people from around the world visit the mall, generating nearly $2 billion each year in economic impact for the state.
- MOA hosts more than 400 events a year, ranging from concerts, to celebrity appearances and fashion shows.
- MOA recycles more than 60% of its waste—an average of 32,000 tons per year.
- More than 30,000 live plants and 300 live trees act as natural air purifiers within MOA.
- It has a LEGO store which hosts 34 feet tall LEGO robot.
- You can also get married in the MOA. There is a chapel inside and 5000 weddings have taken place till date at the MOA.
Don’t you think all that is amazing? A mall as big as the MOA provides employment to over 11,000 people and generates revenue for the state. That’s why it’s a city in itself.
Have I impressed you enough? Have you seen a mall as big as the Mall of America?